Did you know Penguin in the Park also has a 300 meter Penguin Jr. Dash for the youngsters? This untimed race starts at 8:30 before the 5K begins at 9:00. Youth run from 300 meters out from the finish line and get to finish through the same archway as the rest of the runners to receive a finisher ribbon. Participants receive a goody bag, which includes a t-shirt and all the same amenities as the the 5K participants. Sign your little penguin up for the Penguin Jr. Dash today!
Come to Fairview Park in Decatur on July 10 for the Tuesday Night Park Runs, now in its 40th year. Sign-ups begin at 5:30. 1/2 mile tot trot begins at 6:00. 1, 3, and 6 mile runs start around 6:15. The cost is $1. All proceeds go to support the Staley Striders youth running programs.
Wear your Penguin 5K t-shirt from prior years for the penguin photo both and get a $3 discount code to the 14th Penguin in the Park 5K, to be held on March 30, 2019.
Tuesday, come for prizes and treats sponsored by the Trump Family and Staley Credit Union.
For all you Penguins out there in the Decatur area, the Tuesday Night Park Runs start next Tuesday, June 12 in Fairview Park. Entry fee is still just $1 and supports the Staley Striders. You can sign up beginning at 5:30. The 1/2 mile Tot Trot begins at 6:00, with the 1 and 3 mile beginning at 6:15.
We hope to see you there. You can download a schedule using the link below.
Looking for race results? They’re being streamed online in real time, compliments of It’s Race Time.
We’re excited to have you participate in the 13th Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday, March 24. Important information about this weekend’s race is contained in this post, so please read thoroughly.
- The 5K will begin promptly at 9:00 am.
- Move towards the start line by 8:50 for prayer, and pre-race instructions.
- The 300 meter Penguin Dash will begin at 8:30. The little penguins will be led to the start line. Meet by the bathrooms near the bike bath at 8:15.
- The forecast looks like it could get soggy. Come prepared as the event will go on rain or shine. Penguins like to get wet 🙂 The race directors will make a determination to delay, postpone, or cancel the race if participants’ safety is at risk, due to events such as lightning.
- The race is electronically timed by a “chip” that is integrated into your bib number. You must wear your bib on your front across your stomach (and visible). Your bib DOES NOT have to be returned or the tag torn when you cross through the chute and is disposable. Remember, no bib… NO TIME!
- You can still register for the race on race day between 7 am and 8:30 am.
- Race course map
Packet Pick Up
- Pick up your race packet on Friday at Staley Credit Union on N. Woodford in Decatur between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm. click here for directions.
- Participants who pick up their packet on Friday are automatically entered in a drawing for a $25 Visa gift card.
- Race packets may also be picked up prior to the race on Saturday between 7 am and 8:30 am.
Parking and Pre-Race
- We are expecting a lot of folks, so parking will be difficult. We recommend that you park in one of the Millikin parking lots along Fairview Ave (in front of Kirkland Fine Arts Center or next to Westminster Church). Click here for campus map. This will allow you easy access to both Fairview Park and Griswold Gym for the post-race party with a little warm-up and cool down walk to and from both locations.
- Prior to the race, Millikin’s Blue Brew student-run venture will be in the pavilion selling coffee and hot chocolate.
- When you are finished with the race, grab a cup of water and head over to Millikin’s Griswold Center for the post race party where you’ll find good food, water provided by Pepsi, pasta, and famous Ray’s Chili.
- Check out the prize table to see if you have won a gift certificate or other goodies provided by our generous sponsors.
- Vintage Penguin in the Park 5K items will be for sale like t-shirts and race bags for $5.
Remember that “The miracle isn’t that you finished. It’s that you had the courage to start.”
We look forward to having you in Fairview Park this weekend and we’re excited about another great Penguin in the Park.
Penguin in the Park Race Committee
Pick up your race packet on Friday at Staley Credit Union on N. Woodford between 11 and 5. If you haven’t signed up yet, you can do that too onsite.
Can you believe it? Race week is here! We’re excited to have you this weekend for Penguin in the Park. Whether this is your first race with us or your 13th race with us, John Bingham has some important race week tips for you all.
Were you planning on attending Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday morning, but had too many other commitments? We know there isn’t a perfect time that fits everyone’s schedule. Run your own Virtual Penguin 5K anytime on Friday, 3/23 through Sunday, 3/25, and we’ll mail you your race bag with t-shirt, running gloves, and finisher medal, all included in your $35 race fee. We just ask that you post pics on Facebook and tag Penguin in the Park.
Participants who register for the Virtual Penguin will not be assigned a bib number or RFID chip and are not eligible to participate on race day. This is especially for those who know they cannot attend the event on Saturday morning but want to be part of the action over the weekend.
Prior registrations are not eligible for transfer to the Virtual Penguin. However, you are still welcome to pick up your race bag and t-shirt during packet pick-up or on race day. Friends or family with your registration information are welcome to pick up your packet on your behalf.
Are you worried that you don’t have enough time for train for Penguin 5K? John Bingham has some tips to help you prepare for Decatur’s family-friendly event.