To help celebrate National Heart Awareness Month, register yourself and a friend to this year’s Penguin in the Park 5K. Cardiovascular exercise like running or walking is a great way to keep your heart in shape.
To give you a little boost, registrations are discounted by $2.00 through February 14. Use coupon code PENGUINLOVE when registering online.
Are you still feeling like a stuffed turkey? $2 off Penguin in the Park 5K 3.24.18 ($21). Use CYBERMONDAY code – today only!
Did you know that April 25 is World Penguin Day? It also happens to be a month since Penguin in the Park. More than anything, we wanted to extended our heartfelt thank you for being a part of an event that makes Decatur a great community. Your participation in Penguin in the Park helped to support youth athletics at the DISC and a scholarship for deserving Millikin students.
We hope to see you again on March 24, 2018 for the 13th Penguin in the Park 5K. Stay connected through our social media outlets and website to keep up-to-date on registration and race details for next year.
Until then, keep waddling!
Most races are not cancelled due to rain, and many runners worry about what to do if it rains on race day. So you’re not freaking out about rain on race day. Here are some strategies for staying as comfortable as possible when running races in the rain.
- Wear a garbage bag – Yes, that’s right – you can make a long shirt out of a big trash bag by cutting armholes and a neck hole. You’ll be amazed at how much a basic trash bag will keep you dry and protected from wind (which is often a concern during rainy weather). Use it to stay dry and warm while you’re waiting in the starting area. Once you get moving and start to warm up, it’s easy to rip it off and throw it into a trash container.
- Don’t overdress – Overdressing is one of the biggest mistakes runners make when preparing for a race in the rain. Some runners assume that lots of clothes will keep them dry and warm. In reality, if you’re wearing lots of layers, you won’t stay dry — you’ll just be wearing wet, heavy clothes. Dress for the temperature, just as if it wasn’t raining.
- Wear a hat with a brim – A hat with a brim is you best friend during a rainy race. It will keep the rain off your face, which makes a huge difference to your comfort level and your ability to see what’s coming on the course.
- Run with Caution – It’s best to run with some caution as you start out because roadways can be slippery during the rain and double tie your shoes before the start of the race.
- Don’t forget the Body Glide or Vaseline – Chafing is more likely to happen when you’re wet, so to prevent it, spread Body Glide or Vaseline on parts of your body where you would normally chafe or get blisters — such as your feet, inner thighs, underarms, sports bra lines (women), and nipples (men). You may also want to carry a small tube of it in your pocket or running belt.
- Change your wet clothes and then attend the post-race party – Bring an extra set of clothes to put in your bag or in your car so you can change out of your wet race outfit into dry clothes soon after you cross the finish line. Then come enjoy the fun, food, and awards at the post-race party. You earned that post-race party!
We’re excited to have you participate in the 12th Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday, March 25. This email contains important information about the race weekend.
- The 5K will begin promptly at 9:00 am.
- Move towards the start line by 8:50 for the national anthem, prayer, and pre-race instructions.
- The 300 meter Penguin Dash will begin at 8:30. The little penguins will be led to the start line. Meet by the bathrooms near the bike bath at 8:15.
- The forecast looks like it could get soggy. Come prepared as the event will go on rain or shine. Penguins like to get wet 🙂 The race directors will make a determination to delay, postpone, or cancel the race if participants’ safety is at risk, due to events such as lightning.
- The race is electronically timed by a “chip” that is integrated into your bib number. You must wear your bib on your front across your stomach (and visible). Your bib DOES NOT have to be returned or the tag torn when you cross through the chute and is disposable. Remember, no bib… NO TIME!
- You can still register for the race on race day between 7 am and 8:30 am.
- Race course map
Packet Pick Up
- Pick up your race packet on Friday at Staley Credit Union on N. Woodford in Decatur between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm. click here for directions.
- Participants who pick up their packet on Friday are automatically entered in a drawing for a $25 Visa gift card. Ray’s Chilli will also be on site selling chilli dogs so you can grab lunch on the go.
- Race packets may also be picked up prior to the race on Saturday between 7:15 am and 8:30 am.
Parking and Pre-Race
- We are expecting a lot of folks, so parking will be difficult. We recommend that you park in one of the Millikin parking lots along Fairview Ave (in front of Kirkland Fine Arts Center or next to Westminster Church). Click here for campus map. This will allow you easy access to both Fairview Park and Griswold Gym for the post-race party with a little warm-up and cool down walk to and from both locations.
- Prior to the race, Coffee Connection will be on site selling hot drinks to keep you warm and gear you up for the race.
- When you are finished with the race, grab a cup of water and head over to Millikin’s Griswold Center for the post race party where you’ll find good food, water provided by Pepsi, pasta, and famous Ray’s Chili.
- Check out the prize table to see if you have won a gift certificate or other goodies provided by our generous sponsors.
- Vintage Penguin in the Park 5K items will be for sale like t-shirts and race bags for $5.
Remember that “The miracle isn’t that you finished. It’s that you had the courage to start.”
We look forward to having you in Fairview Park this weekend and we’re excited about another great Penguin in the Park.
Penguin in the Park Race Committee
Were you planning on attending Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday morning, but had too many other commitments? We know there isn’t a perfect time that fits everyone’s schedule. Run your own Virtual Penguin 5K anytime on Friday, 3/24 through Sunday, 3/26, and we’ll mail you your drawstring race bag with t-shirt and finisher medal, all included in your $30 race fee. We just ask that you post pics on Facebook and tag Penguin in the Park. Register Online.
Participants who register for the Virtual Penguin will not be assigned a bib number or RFID chip and are not eligible to participate on race day. This is especially for those who know they cannot attend the event on Saturday morning.
Register between Tuesday, March 7 and Friday, March 10 and get entered to win 1 of 3 DISC passes good for 3 days use of the full facility! Still $25 until March 17.
Are you traveling to Decatur for Penguin in the Park this year? With the assistance of one of our community partners, the Decatur Area Convention and Visitor’s Bureau has secured discounted hotel rates for race weekend. These special rates are valid for Friday and Saturday night. Simply call the hotel of your choice and let them know you are in town for Penguin in the Park. Negotiated rates can be found under our website under Accommodations.