Since March, we have been working diligently to host a rescheduled 2020 Penguin in the Park in light of the global COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, we have continued to monitor conditions and data as we prioritize everyone’s health and safety. We have determined that hosting an in-person 2020 Penguin in the Park is not the safest for everyone involved.
All hope is not lost! We have decided to host a Virtual 2020 Penguin in the Park from Saturday, October 10 through Sunday, October 18. Complete with race goodie bags, t shirts, fleece head warmer compliments of Staley Credit Union, finisher medal, results, and more! If you previously registered for the race in March, you are automatically included in this event. Registration is reopened through Wednesday, October 7 to meet the demand of others who would like to join us.
- A socially distanced packet pickup will take place on Saturday, October 10th from 9AM-1PM at the large pavilion in Fairview Park
- Masks are required to pick up your packet
- To limit foot traffic, please send one representative from your family or group of friends group to pick up your race bag.
- If you do not live in the following counties, you will have your race bag and finisher medal mailed to you free of charge if not picked up at packet pickup.
- Counties not eligible for free shipping: Champaign, Christian, Coles, De Witt, Douglas, Effingham, Logan, Macon, McLean, Menard, Moultrie, Piatt, Sangamon
- It may take up to two weeks following October 10 to receive your race bag
- If you live in one of the counties listed above and you do not know someone who can pick up your race bag for you, you may elect to have your packet shipped for an additional $8. Details on how to request shipping are forthcoming.
- If you previously registered for the Virtual 5K, your race packet will be shipped for free.
- Additional details will follow as we get closer to race day.
Additional Registration Info
- Online Registration closes at 11:59 pm on Wednesday, October 7. There are no processing fees associated with online registration.
- No other registrations will be allowed other than those online and prior to the registration cutoff of Wednesday, October 7, 11:59 pm.
- $1 discount for Decatur Running Club Members, Millikin Students/Alum/Faculty/Staff, and Decatur Indoor Sports Center Members. Not eligible for multiple discounts.
- Registration assumes participation. If you are not able to participate, you are still eligible to receive your t-shirt and race bag. Refunds will not be issued.
Stuff We All Get!
- Short sleeve performance cotton t-shirt
- Fleece head warmer compliments of Staley Credit Union
- Penguin finisher medal
- Goodie bag with snacks and a commemorative 15 year anniversary button
- All registrations are $30. You can register online here.
Submitting Your Result
An important part of this Virtual Race is submitting your time so that you can see how you rank, much like a traditional run. Beginning October 10th you will be able to submit your time. Simply run your own 5K route (socially distanced) when it is convenient for you. To submit your virtual time, click the following link. (Note: link will not work and you cannot submit a result prior to Oct 10) By your name, click EDIT TIME. You can submit results from Oct 10 – Oct 18. Final results will be available at the same link on Oct 19, 2020.
Why Penguin in the Park?
Penguin in the Park 5K Run/Walk will be celebrating its milestone 15th anniversary in 2020! After his namesake, the Penguin, John Bingham, inspires us all to get out there and be active. Penguin in the Park is the largest (and friendliest) 5K in the Decatur area. This race embraces the Penguin in all of us — a race for the speedy, and those who want to take their time and enjoy the course! All proceeds will help benefit the Decatur Indoor Sports Center youth programs and Millikin’s John “The Penguin” Bingham Scholarship.