We’re excited to have you participate in the 13th Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday, March 24. Important information about this weekend’s race is contained in this post, so please read thoroughly.
- The 5K will begin promptly at 9:00 am.
- Move towards the start line by 8:50 for prayer, and pre-race instructions.
- The 300 meter Penguin Dash will begin at 8:30. The little penguins will be led to the start line. Meet by the bathrooms near the bike bath at 8:15.
- The forecast looks like it could get soggy. Come prepared as the event will go on rain or shine. Penguins like to get wet 🙂 The race directors will make a determination to delay, postpone, or cancel the race if participants’ safety is at risk, due to events such as lightning.
- The race is electronically timed by a “chip” that is integrated into your bib number. You must wear your bib on your front across your stomach (and visible). Your bib DOES NOT have to be returned or the tag torn when you cross through the chute and is disposable. Remember, no bib… NO TIME!
- You can still register for the race on race day between 7 am and 8:30 am.
- Race course map
Packet Pick Up
- Pick up your race packet on Friday at Staley Credit Union on N. Woodford in Decatur between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm. click here for directions.
- Participants who pick up their packet on Friday are automatically entered in a drawing for a $25 Visa gift card.
- Race packets may also be picked up prior to the race on Saturday between 7 am and 8:30 am.
Parking and Pre-Race
- We are expecting a lot of folks, so parking will be difficult. We recommend that you park in one of the Millikin parking lots along Fairview Ave (in front of Kirkland Fine Arts Center or next to Westminster Church). Click here for campus map. This will allow you easy access to both Fairview Park and Griswold Gym for the post-race party with a little warm-up and cool down walk to and from both locations.
- Prior to the race, Millikin’s Blue Brew student-run venture will be in the pavilion selling coffee and hot chocolate.
- When you are finished with the race, grab a cup of water and head over to Millikin’s Griswold Center for the post race party where you’ll find good food, water provided by Pepsi, pasta, and famous Ray’s Chili.
- Check out the prize table to see if you have won a gift certificate or other goodies provided by our generous sponsors.
- Vintage Penguin in the Park 5K items will be for sale like t-shirts and race bags for $5.
Remember that “The miracle isn’t that you finished. It’s that you had the courage to start.”
We look forward to having you in Fairview Park this weekend and we’re excited about another great Penguin in the Park.
Penguin in the Park Race Committee