Penguin in the Park 5K Run/Walk will be celebrating its milestone 15th anniversary on March 28, 2020! After his namesake, the Penguin, John Bingham, inspires us all to get out there and be active. Penguin in the Park is the largest (and friendliest) 5K in the Decatur area. This race embraces the Penguin in all of us — a race for the speedy, and those who want to take their time and enjoy the course!
Starting at 9:00am, the 5K race takes place in Fairview Park on a rolling bike path; afterwards, we move to the post-race party inside to Millikin’s Griswold Gym for awards, and warm food.
This year will once again include the 300 meter Penguin Jr. Dash for the younger penguins that will take place before the start of the 5K at 8:30 am. This is a great opportunity to include youth in a sport and activity that is life long. Make Penguin in the Park a family activity this year. Penguin Dash participants will receive a short sleeve t-shirt and goody bag along with a finisher ribbon.
| ||5K||Penguin Jr. Dash||Virtual Penguin|
|On or before March 1||$23||$13||$40|
|Between March 2 and March 26||$30||$15||$40|
|After March 26 and on race day||$35||$20||$40|
Additional Registration Info
- Online Registration closes at 12:00 pm on Thursday, March 26, 2020. All other registrations must be taken on race day. There are no processing fees associated with online registration.
- $1 discount for Decatur Running Club Members, Millikin Students/Alum/Faculty/Staff, and Decatur Indoor Sports Center Members. Not eligible for multiple discounts. Discounts only apply to pre-registrations by March 26, 2020.
- Paper registration forms are accepted by using this form. Mail and make checks payable to:
“Penguin in the Park, NFP” 29 Sundance Dr. Mt Zion, IL 62549
- Registration assumes participation. If you are not able to participate, you are still eligible to receive your t-shirt and race bag. Refunds will not be issued.
Packet Pick-Up and Race Day
- Packet Pickup: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm, Staley Credit Union, 3330 N. Woodford, Decatur, on Friday, March 27
- Packet Pickup and Race Day Registration: 7:00 am – 8:15 am on Race Day at Fairview Pavilion
- Pre-registered participants who pick up their race packet at Staley Credit Union will be entered into a drawing for a $25 Visa Check Card from Staley Credit Union
- Post-Race Party will be held at Griswold Gym on Millikin’s campus following race. There will be plenty of food!
- Awards and prizes at 10:30 am featuring local entertainment and warm food.
- Short sleeve performance cotton t-shirt for 5K and Penguin Jr. Dash participants
- Goody bag for 5K and Penguin Jr. Dash participants
- Post-race party, awards, and prizes for everyone
- More surprise goodies to be announce later!
- 5K starts at 9:00 am, March 28. Penguin Jr. Dash starts at 8:30 am.
- 5K race starts in Fairview Park on roadway then switches to scenic bike path and finishes near the large pavilion.
- No dogs or other pets, strollers and the like on the race course.
- Map of Fairview Park.
- This event is electronically timed. Your “chip” is integrated with your bib. You must wear your bib on your front across your stomach to be electronically timed.
- 3 awards per age group per gender
- Commemorative finisher medal
- Overall male and female winners will be eliminated from their respective age group
|8 & Under||30 - 34||60 - 64|
|9 - 11||35 - 39||65 - 69|
|12 - 14||40 - 44||70 - 74|
|15 - 19||45 - 49||75 - 79|
|20 - 24||50 - 54||80 & Older|
|25 - 29||55 - 59|
|Were you planning on attending Penguin in the Park 5K on Saturday morning, but had too many other commitments? We know there isn’t a perfect time that fits everyone’s schedule. Run your own Virtual Penguin 5K anytime on Friday, March 27 through Sunday, March 29, and we’ll mail you your race bag with t-shirt, goodies, and finisher medal, all included in your $40 race fee. We just ask that you post pics on Facebook and tag Penguin in the Park.|
Participants who register for the Virtual Penguin will not be assigned a bib number or RFID chip and are not eligible to participate on race day. This is especially for those who know they cannot attend the event on Saturday morning but want to be part of the action over the weekend. Virtual Penguins DO NOT physically attend on race day.
Prior registrations are not eligible for transfer to the Virtual Penguin. However, you are still welcome to pick up your race bag and t-shirt during packet pick-up or on race day. Friends or family with your registration information are welcome to pick up your packet on your behalf.