Penguin in the Park 5K Run/Walk will take place on October 23, 2022! After his namesake, the Penguin, John Bingham, inspires us all to get out there and be active. Penguin in the Park is the friendliest 5K in the Decatur area. This race embraces the Penguin in all of us — a race for the speedy, and those who want to take their time and enjoy the course!
Starting at 3:00 pm, the 5K race takes place in Fairview Park on a rolling bike path; afterwards, we will have a post-race party with awards, food, prizes, and entertainment in Fairview Pavilion.
This year will once again include the 1/2 mile Penguin Jr. Dash for the younger penguins that will take place before the start of the 5K at 2:30 pm. This is a great opportunity to include youth in a sport and activity that is life long. Make Penguin in the Park a family activity this year. Penguin Dash participants will receive a commemorative penguin gear, and goody bag along with a finisher ribbon.
The race committee is committed to hosting the race in accordance with all CDC, state, and local health guidance. Prior to race day, detailed instructions will be sent regarding guidelines for participating in the race safely, which may include certain restrictions.
| ||5K||Penguin Jr. Dash|
|Through October 1||$20||$12|
|October 2 through October 22||$25||$15|
Additional Registration Info
- Online Registration closes at 2:30 pm on race day. There are no processing fees associated with online registration.
- Paper registrations will NOT be accepted. Online registration only.
- Registration assumes participation. If you are not able to participate, you are still eligible to receive your race bag. Just send a friend to pick up your race packet on race day. Refunds will not be issued.
Packet Pick-Up and Race Day
- Packet Pickup from 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm on Race Day (October 23) at Fairview Pavilion.
- Packets cannot be picked up after this time. If you can’t make it, get a friend to pick up your race packet. Race packets will not and cannot be mailed.
- Online registration will remain open until 2:30 on Sunday. No paper registrations.
- Race bags are guaranteed for the first 200 to preregister. Substitutions may be made.
- Post-Race Party will be held in Fairview Pavilion.
- Awards and prizes following the race featuring local entertainment and food.
- Commemorative Penguin Gear
- Goody bag for 5K and Penguin Jr. Dash participants
- Post-race party, and awards for everyone
- Commemorative finisher medal
- 5K starts at 3:00 pm, October 23. Penguin Jr. Dash starts at 2:30 pm.
- 5K race starts and ends in Fairview Park on scenic bike path.
- No dogs or other pets, strollers and the like on the race course.
- Map of Fairview Park.
- This event is electronically timed. Your “chip” is integrated with your bib. You must wear your bib on your front across your stomach to be electronically timed.
- 3 awards per age group per gender
- Commemorative finisher medal
- Overall male and female winners will be eliminated from their respective age group
|8 & Under||30 - 34||60 - 64|
|9 - 11||35 - 39||65 - 69|
|12 - 14||40 - 44||70 - 74|
|15 - 19||45 - 49||75 - 79|
|20 - 24||50 - 54||80 & Older|
|25 - 29||55 - 59|